The History of Parkway Medical Center
Parkway Medical Center’s beginnings date back to the early 1920’s when Dr. W.P. Baugh opened a clinic on Grant Street.
The Baugh Clinic witnessed significant growth in the thirties and moved to its second location on Gordon Drive in downtown Decatur. At this phase of expansion, the clinic was renamed the Baugh Infirmary, Inc. In 1947, Dr. J.B. Wiley, Sr. joined the medical staff and the clinic’s name changed to Baugh-Wiley Hospital. Decatur’s new hospital moved to its third address, again on Gordon Drive.
In 1956 Dr. J.T. Smith joined the hospital’s medical staff. Now known as the Baugh, Wiley, Smith Hospital, the facility had grown with Decatur, providing a variety of medical services for the community.
In 1969 the Baugh, Wiley, Smith Hospital was purchased by Hospital Affiliates in Nashville, Tennessee. Immediately after the purchase, plans were made to relocate the hospital and increase its medical service capabilities. The new focus was to be the way of the future in healthcare: outpatient services. A site was chosen in the “hub” of Decatur’s growth area along Beltline Road. In 1972, construction began. Two years later, Parkway Medical Center Hospital opened its doors. Since its establishment on the Beltline, Parkway has been a key component in Decatur’s business and residential growth in the city’s southwest section.
With a history that dates back over seventy years, Parkway Medical Center has had a significant impact on the development of Decatur. From the humble Baugh Clinic beginnings through seven decades of growth, Parkway has served Decatur and surrounding communities proudly. Today, Parkway is one of the most technologically advanced hospitals in the area while continuing to meet the healthcare needs of the Tennessee Valley in much the same personal, caring fashion Dr. Baugh extended to his patients in the early 1920’s.
New Parkway Wing Honors Founding Fathers
Click here to read more.